In today’s digital era, data holds extreme importance to any organization. Everyday companies are integrating multiple digital platforms in their system infrastructure. Naturally, these companies require safe and secured cross-platform data transformation facilities.
Salesforce data migration is the best solution that companies can choose to transfer their valuable and useful data from one tenant to another. This article will discuss the essential components involved in the Data Migration process and how Salesforce is changing the modern Data Migration tactics for companies in need.
The Need for Data Migration:
Many confuse data migration with data conversion or data integration. To clarify, Data migration is a complex process of transferring organizational data from one source to another. It is a crucial element to share necessary data cross-platform and requires thorough research & planning. A few common types of Data Migrations include:
- Migrating Storage Data
- Migrating Databases across platforms
- Migrating Data from On-Premise to Cloud
- Migrating Applications Data
Overall, moving data across a single tenant or multiple tenants requires quality assurance, validation, cleansing, and profiling. Salesforce data migration takes care of everything from the beginning till the end.
Data Migration with Salesforce:
In Salesforce, data migration is very critical as it is a common requirement among companies implementing Salesforce in their internal systems. Before going live with Salesforce, companies must shift all existing data from their legacy system to the new Salesforce Cloud.
The complexity of salesforce data migration depends on the company’s old system infrastructure. Well-experienced Salesforce Professionals do consistent planning for successful Salesforce implementation.
They analyze the old system data to find out issues that might be a problem during data migration. It is essential to prevent data loss due to data fallacy or unsuccessful data migration.
Helpful Tips & Tricks for Successful Data Migration with Salesforce:
Data migration failure is a common problem that Salesforce Professionals might face during Data Migration. Here are some valuable tips and tricks that Salesforce Professionals can use in the future.
Involve the Stakeholders:
While working in a salesforce data migration Project for a company, the company might have an internal IT team and stakeholders taking care of the back-end infrastructure. It’s suggested to engage the company stakeholders from different departments for end-user data migration planning.
It helps Salesforce Associates gather essential information regarding the data migration in advance. It also guarantees the company’s internal ITIS team maximum support during migration.
Identifying the Needed Data:
Salesforce Professionals must focus on collecting the organization data that is required cross-tenant or cross-platform. Hence professionals can try finding answers to the below queries:
- Where is the data currently stored?
- What is the current data structure?
- Is the data accurate or not?
- Is there any duplicate data present?
- How can data loss impact organizational operations?
Salesforce Professionals can create new fields for data validations. Identifying the needed data helps to conduct a successful salesforce data migration.
Take Data Backups:
The most crucial step to prevent data loss is taking data backups correctly. Before initiating the migration from source to destination, Salesforce professionals must create local data backups.
It helps to perform rollback activities if the migration doesn’t go as planned. Also, professionals can quickly restore or recover the data before any possible disaster happens.
Execute a Test Migration with the Prepared Data:
How to ensure that the data migration planning works smoothly? After preparing the data for migration, professionals should initiate the data migration process in the test environment.
Make necessary changes by conducting an error-free test migration. Based on that, professionals can perform salesforce data migration in the production environment.
Importance of Selecting the Right Tools for Data Migration:
Like different types of data migration, there are various tools available for Salesforce and AppExchange Migration. Using the right tools ensures the data migration happens smoothly without any errors. Here are some additional benefits of using Data Migration Tools:
- Secure: The migration tools are developed on the basis of data migration best practices, strategies, and data policies to ensure data safety and security.
- Automated: Salesforce Data Migration tools follow automated processes to avoid manual work. Once professionals initiate the migration, the automated migration process keeps migrating the data to Salesforce till the end.
- Customizable: Professionals can easily add custom fields and modules to perform data migration with minimal effort.
- Easy to use: The migration tools must have user-friendly interfaces that are easy to access for professionals with little knowledge or experience.
- Detailed data mapping: Professionals can do detailed data mapping with minimal effort while having complete control over the data.
- Free data import/export: Salesforce Data Loader allows free data importing or exporting facilities.
- Free estimation: Professionals can estimate the duration of data migration with the help of migration tools.
Hence professionals must choose the right tools for the data migration project.
The Standard Data Migration Challenges:
Each and every salesforce data migration Process is unique, depending on the organizational requirements. Alongside its own set of complexities, data migration involves various challenges and risks. It doesn’t matter what type of data is getting migrated. The main objective is to face all data migration issues, including:
- Poor quality and inaccurate data
- Lack of data resources and tools
- Inconsistent data mapping
- Unclear testing results
- Failing to follow the current data migration plan
- Sudden change in organizational infrastructure
- Lack of data validation after migration
- Occurrence of unexpected issues
- Missing permissions and access
Most Salesforce Professionals lack visibility while performing a data migration to Salesforce. As said above, professionals must prevent the above challenges from happening for smooth data migration. Stay prepared for all circumstances and improve the data validation alongside conducting migration.
Salesforce data migration requires accurate data collection, strategic data migration planning, practical migration tools, and a step-by-step data migration approach. The key to conducting an error-free data migration is to gain enough knowledge and understanding of the source infrastructure.
Utilize cutting-edge migration tools such as Data Import Wizard and Data Loader to perform flawless data migration to Salesforce. Follow all the above tips and tricks and complete multiple data migration projects successfully.